Start a new topic

Save settings

There's a feature that's been needed for a long time. The last update I got to CDS unfortunately resulted in my having to do an uninstall/reinstall.

While I told CDS to save my profile, after the reinstall I found that I pretty much had to start over from scratch.

Under "Advanced", I have tons and tons of custom extensions mostly items that indeed just text files and will index just fine.

Even just my selection of "Folders to index" is complicated. Do I index by a drive letter or do I index using a network UNC? It matters after my years of experience of trying to make the most efficient indexing strategy.

So my 'feature request' would be to have a "Save settings" button right in the "Options" section of the program.

Cheers!

- Kevin

Hello Kevin,

if you are able to read xml-files, you can save the config.xml and savedSearches.xml. After a reinstallation or if you want to give your configuration to a colleague edit these files and restart CDS. It's a lot easier and faster than doing it manually again and again...

But it's true, a function like "export and import configuration" would be awesome for every "normal" user. Mayby even with a dialog where you can choose what exactly to export and import (file extansions, locations, predefined searches, ...).

Best Regards,

Jochen

Hi Jochen and Kevin,

I recently had to reinstall CDS to a new PC and reselect all of the options. Importing the configuration would have been nice!

I have also had this error message a couple of times in the past: "Configuration could not be read. Copernic Desktop Search will continue to run but the settings will be reverted to the default configuration. The existing index will be erased." Again I had to reselect all of the options.

I support a feature request to export and import the configuration settings, ideally with the option to include or exclude email folders to index, file folders to index, file extensions, predefined searches, etc.

Cheers, Phil.

Login or Signup to post a comment