Programme won't run after update 8.0

Posted over 2 years ago by Andrea Garfield-Barkworth

Post a topic
Solved
A
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth

After receiving an email inviting me to upgrade to 8.0, Copernic no longer runs. The symbol loads, system plug-ins start to load then it closes.

Running on a Window 10 machine with Microsoft 365.

1 Votes

18 Comments

Sorted by
A

ARIANE SCARELLI posted over 2 years ago

I had the same problem, but with the tips and steps I solved.

Thank you.

1 Votes

H

Hartmut.Peters posted over 2 years ago

Michael's comment solved the problem: don't use Windows uninstall but the procedure from Copernic and unclick to delete all config-options.

1 Votes

M

Michael Nugent posted over 2 years ago

I discovered there are 3 ways to uninstal a program in Windows 10.  One works (because it has an option that allows you to delete config and index, which you need to do) and the other two don't work for this problem beacuse, it seems to me, they dont have that option.  One is: (a) in the folder where the program is stored (eg, C:\Program Files\Copernic\DesktopSearch) click on the uninstall.exe; this worked; the others are (b) using Apps & Features in settings (didn't work); and (c) using Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features (didn't work).

0 Votes

D

Dennis King posted over 2 years ago

Looks like installing dot net 4.8 may have fixed the issue. 

0 Votes

D

This is server 2008 r2. I just installed net framework 4.8 and rebooting the server. I double checked and the coppernic requirements say the OS is supported. 

0 Votes

D

I may have responded on the wrong version issue. This is a server version. I was checking the server and coppernic notifications said there was an update. So I allowed the update and now coppernic does not start. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall. The program starts and just closes. even if I remove the previous settings and profile. I looked for a download for a previous version but could not find it.  Any help would be appreciated. After removing the settings and reinstalling the setup wizard starts and then I get and error but it closes so fast that I can not seem to see the entire error. report. 

0 Votes

A

Alan Reiss posted over 2 years ago

Dennis, make sure you have current windows 10 updates which will make ensure you have netframework 4.8, then you need to uninstall the old version completely, do not keep index and config files. It then ran ok on my desktop and index 3.4 million emails in 9 days . It crashed once, i restarted and it picked up where it had been and kept going. working good now.

alan

0 Votes

D

I have this problem too

0 Votes

V

Valerie posted over 2 years ago

Helpdesk told me to uninstall all previous versions completely without keeping config and index then reinstall Copernic Desktop Search from scratch.

Now it's working fine.

0 Votes

M

Michael Nugent posted over 2 years ago

Samne: After receiving an email inviting me to upgrade to 8.0, Copernic no longer runs. The symbol loads, system plug-ins start to load then it closes.

Running on a Window 10 machine with Microsoft 365.

0 Votes

A

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth posted over 2 years ago

The Helpdesk got back to me and told me to uncheck the box asking to keep config and index during uninstalling, then to reinstall again.

It now loads and is in the process of doing the very lengthy indexing of my files. It may take a day or two.

1 Votes

M

MARK LYNAM posted over 2 years ago

Hopefully the advice the Helpdesk gave you will make this unnecessary but just in case---  Here's the link to the offline installer for the current .net framework runtime:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/thank-you/net48-offline-installer

0 Votes

V

Tbh I don't think so. I just got a message from the Helpdesk saying I should uninstall everything and start from scratch. 

0 Votes

A

did you uninstall version 7 before installing version 8 by the way

0 Votes

A

it is a Microsoft piece of software that if you have kept your machine updated with monthly patches, you should have latest version. Apparently copernic version 8 relies on it being version 4.8 or better.  Here is how to check your version   https://www.windowscentral.com/how-quickly-check-net-framework-version-windows-10

0 Votes

V

I'm completely untechnical. What is the .net framework? Thanks!

0 Votes

M

MARK LYNAM posted over 2 years ago

It *may* be related to the version of the .net framework you're running.  You may want to check that.

0 Votes

V

I also have the same problem.

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment