Version 8.0.0 Crashes before finishing indexing

Posted over 2 years ago by Leszek Izdebski

Post a topic
Un Solved
L
Leszek Izdebski

Nothing seems to help.  I even did clean re-install (cleared index, uninstalled, and re-installed).

Copernic at first seems to work just fine until it stops on a file (different files each time).  Sometimes it's a big file sometimes a small one (the last time it was a very simple PDF file only 232 KB).  It sometimes stops after10 minutes of indexing and sometimes after 1 hour.  Completely random.

Nothing helps at that time.  Pause,  exit, restart, etc..  Also, after it stopped, if I exit the tray application, I can't restart Copernic.  Despite exiting, there are still two processes running.  At that point I have to end the processes and only after that I can re-start Copernic.

Never had that problem with any previous version. 

Tech support keeps suggesting that I do things that I already did (and wrote to them that I did them).  They don't seem to be reading my explanations.

4 Votes

17 Comments

Sorted by
C

Cato Støbakk Fostervoll posted over 2 years ago

I have learned my lessons through the years installing new releases of CDS. Wait.... wait.... wait untill the software is stable and few new - report a problem - are being posted.  But sadly some of the customers have to be the guinea pigs.

0 Votes

L

Leszek Izdebski posted over 2 years ago

Just uploaded the newly released software update.  So far so good.  It seems to be working!!!

0 Votes

P

Philip van Leeuwen posted over 2 years ago

Hmmm. I seem to have exactly the same problems as described in this thread.

0 Votes

T

Thomas Sax posted over 2 years ago

I have the same situation.  The indexing freezes, the search functions don't work.  This is the second year I have tried to get this software to work.  Its an abomination.  There is no support to call and the service ticket route is no solution...it just adds delay and frustration as the issues are not solved.  They have my money and I have ineffective non-functioning software.  I wish I had never bought this.  

0 Votes

T

Thomas Sax posted over 2 years ago

I have had the same problems.  Indexing stops.  Searching not functioning .   Frankly this is an abomination.  I have tried to make this software work for two years.  There is no support, no hot-line and yet they have my money.  I am hoping they can fix it but if not, looks like its time to uninstall and shop elsewhere.  Sad situation.  

0 Votes

L

My clean re-install didn't solve the problem - I tried it a week ago and it's still the same.

After sharing with tech support my debug logs this is what they wrot:

" I'm back with the answer from R&D.

From what I can see, in the log files, it seems to "unpack" documents from the indexing queue whose content is not indexable, so they are ignored.
This can happen if there is a  folders with a large number of files whose extension is not included in the Copernic options.

We will impove this feature in the upcoming update.

I suggest to tick the option ' Join the Early Access Update Program' In order to be notified when the update will be available. It is located under cds menu Tools > options > Advanced"

They are expecting to have an update on Wednesday.  (Let's hope it will solve the issue!)

0 Votes

K

Kive I. Strickoff posted over 2 years ago

First the good news:

Since I uninstalled the old, and re-installed version 8, my indexing has worked fine, for FILES.  

Then the bad news:

But the system will not let me add PST files for emails, even though I have paid for the outlook extension, etc.

So I can't index EMAILS at all.

HELP !

0 Votes

M

Michael Grant posted over 2 years ago

I'm in the same boat as all of you.  I upgraded to v 8.0.0 build 14328 at the end of August.  The upgrade never completed indexing and frequently hug so I'd use Process Explorer to restart or kill all services.  Out of frustration today I went looking for answers and found the "since update indexing impossible" posts.  

Per the advice there I've now removed all vestiges of Copernic and reinstalled a clean version of v 8.   The index service has now run for about 30 min and I'm already at 99% complete.  While it could certainly still hang or crash, things look promising.  

It's really disappointing  there isn't jack squat about this issue or potential workarounds in Copernic's KB.  Generally speaking the software is decent and helpful but the support MIA.  Of course, all of you already know that.    

0 Votes

L

Copernic sent me a config file that allowed them to connect more debug data during the indexing on my computer and they wrote me that they found the problem.  ETA for an update is Wednesday.

0 Votes

L

After it stops indexing, if I exit it and exit the "tray app", I can't restart it.  I have to go to Task manager, end Copernic tasks (one of them is using over 30% of CPU) and only at that time I can restart Copernic.

Yesterday I sent them additional information, including info from Windows Event Logs.  I did it after sending them Copernic log couple days ago and receiving from Copernic support this response: 

"Back from R&D:

When the problem occurs, could it go to the Windows Event Logs and return if an error about Copernic is displayed and what the error is?
Unfortunately I don't see any error in the logs about this, only that the indexing stops at a certain time."

0 Votes

I

Ian Faulkner posted over 2 years ago

Same problem.....new index runs and then blocks at various stages, support is useless, they closed my first ticket without any solution.

For the second ticket they asked for logs and have yet to get back to me, it's totally unaceptable, I'm paying for something that doesn't work ! (This is been ongoing for ten days).

0 Votes

K

Kive I. Strickoff posted over 2 years ago

Same here  . . . .  new index runs and stalls, repeatedly.   

When will I be able to use this program again????

1 Votes

L

I already had to do that.  However, the previous version was working well (slow, compared to X1, but doing its job).  I wouldn't mind re-installing the previous version.

0 Votes

N

Nicola Santilli posted over 2 years ago

I believe that if the problems are not solved, I uninstall Copernic, too many problems.

1 Votes

L

Does anyone have a link to an older version?  I want to re-install an older version until they figure out the problem.

0 Votes

N

I have the same problem, plus my computer crashes and I have to brutally shut it down

0 Votes

N

I have the same problem, plus my computer crashes and I have to brutally shut it down

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment