Start a new topic

Linux Regular Expression (RegEx) syntax integration

Hello Everyone,

Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Can someone show me what search would be necessary to find files like these in one search statement? I'll use Linux regular expression syntax to indicate what I'm trying to find, since I'm more familiar with that syntax. When I use Open Source search tools that support Linux Regular Expression syntax this search works perfectly.

^[0-2][0-9] *.mp3

In English, this is "All files that begin with 0, 1, or 2 followed by a 0 through 9 followed by "zero or more" spaces followed by a period followed by "mp3".

CopernicSearch is a great tool in many ways but my version doesn't support Linux-type Regular Expressions. I wonder if the latest versions do. This is quite a short-coming IMO if you're very technical and understand Linux RegEx.

Hi Steve!

Thanks for reaching out on our new community forum!

I'm not really sure if we support Linux Regular Expressions syntax right now, but i'll have it checked by our development team. 

I created a ticket for you on that matter, we'll be in touch with you shortly.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Hi Steve,

I had a look at your request with our development team and regex (regular expressions) aren't supported yet in Copernic Desktop Search.

We've logged the feature request to our product development team so it could be considered in a future development.

Apologies on the same.
Best Regards,

Max L.  

If all you want is to search for files (not contents of the files) get the free program Everything by www.voidtools.com.   It uses regular expressions and has many very useful features.

If you need to search contents with regular expressions, try PowerGrep ---- not free.

Regards

Great minds think alike. I already found, installed, and used Everything. It's pretty amazing for searching for file names. Thanks!

Login or Signup to post a comment